Apply for books
Are you a children's organisation or school? You might want to apply for books!
Every organisation in South Africa that is in need of children's books is invited to write a letter of request to Biblionef's office.
Therefore, please include the following information:
- A short description of the organisation and its background (When was it founded? How many teachers work there? In what kind of community is the organisation based? Also: postal address, contact telephone number and province).
- A clarification of what the organisation is doing to encourage a culture of reading. Please also include a description of the system that is used to make these books available
- The number of potential users of the books to be donated
- The mother tongue language of the children (e.g. 80% isiXhosa, 20% Afrikaans)
- How far is the organisation located from the next public library?
- The name of the person responsible for handling the books
- A written plan of how you intend to use the books (e.g. library system, class use etc.)
- Name a community outreach project that your organisation will assist with, should you get books from Biblionef
- Send your request to Biblionef's office at Huis der Nederlanden, 4 Central Square, 7405 Pinelands.
Biblionef only considers organisations to receive a donation of books once they have adhered to our basic criteria as given under points 1-7. The request for books must be done in writing on a sheet with the organisations letterhead or an official stamp on the letter.
Books are donated to children's organisation where there are teachers or facilitators to ensure that the books are well cared for. Organisations requesting books could be schools, pre-schools, children's homes, street children's organisations, refugee camps or any other organisation with a socio-educational goal. Biblionef would like the beneficiaries to think about a good deed that your organisation could do in return for the donation of books, e.g. singing for the aged, reading to the sick, picking up rubbish in the community. Once your organisation has been chosen to receive a donation, a letter confirming your request will be posted to you. When Biblionef has received your acknowledgement of the letter, the books will be send.
Biblionef South Africa is an organisation that provides new books to needy children's schools and libraries throughout South Africa with emphasis on organisations in townships, informal settlements and in remote rural areas. We focus on storybooks in all eleven South African languages.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!